About Me

My photo
Some call me the space cowboy... Actually, no one calls me that. Not least of all because I'm a lady. A proper lady, with ambitions and passion and lipstick. I'm brimming with love and scorn, courage and fear, hope and disappointment, alcohol and pathos. And I make great pancakes!

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Jean Genie


Tonight I had the strange urge to buy some new jeans. I'm not a big shopper, I find it tedious and tiring trying on clothes and have to be in just the right frame of mind to do it without complaining like a tiny child. I'm pretty sure I missed some of the girlie gene during birth. My idea of a good shopping expedition is trolling through vintage shops and the like, looking for hidden gems then mainlining coffee for an hour to heal the wound.

Today though, I wanted jeans. Mainly because my current main pair are sagging at bit at the butt and no one wants saggy butt jeans, right? I stopped wearing diapers years ago, I don't need to look like I've started again. Besides, I'm going on a trip in a couple of weeks and no one likes to go on vacation in old clothes, right?

I forced myself into a couple of stores and set about the business of finding the right pair. Being of a more punk rock background (although I'm not 25 anymore so I've mellowed a lot) I'm always loathe to follow high street trends. I like my slim bootcut jeans I can throw on some beat up cowboy boots with, or my Doc Marten Oxbloods or some Converse. I like beaten up Levi's with tab pockets and just the right amount of wear. I like a mid rise, not too low to expose the dreaded butt crack and not too high to look like mom jeans. There's so much criteria to take into account, a person could explode just considering it.

I found some Calvin Klein dark bootcut jeans with just the right sort of worn look I was looking for. However, I'm a touch broke and I wasn't looking to fork out $120 for some everyday jeans, so I nixed that idea.

So, it was with some surprise I found myself surveying the most modern, dreaded, skinny jeans with a sort of morbid fascination. I remember them first time around in the 1980s. I remember at school some of the older kids had them. They were horrible then and they haven't improved a whole lot since, apart from maybe nowadays the rise doesn't go all the way up to your armpits. I always vowed I'd never wear those things.

Just for kicks I picked a pair up and tried them on.

I was horrified. Really horrified. Mainly because I liked them. And because they didn't look awful at all. They weren't too tight like the nasty denim leggings the younger kids are wearing but they were close to the leg and thigh, with a mid to low rise and a flattering back and without looking tapered which is my number one 'absolutely not' factor. They looked almost cool. And didn't make me look like I was trying to look 25 again.

So I bought them. And now I'm almost trendy, damn it. It sort of goes against my nature to follow the pack but at least they're dark wash and still fit with my other stuff without making me look slightly insane. I might even try some girlie shoes with them next. Could I finally be growing up after all these years? Heavens.

The next step is scaring the bejeesus out of my mom by showing up at her place one day in a dress and heels. Then you'll know the world has ended.


1 comments:

Unknown said...

Be greatful you can get into skinny jeans, girl! lol