About Me

My photo
Some call me the space cowboy... Actually, no one calls me that. Not least of all because I'm a lady. A proper lady, with ambitions and passion and lipstick. I'm brimming with love and scorn, courage and fear, hope and disappointment, alcohol and pathos. And I make great pancakes!

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, July 18, 2010

Retail Therapy


It's funny how sometimes, the most mundane, simple things can brighten up your day. For example, recently I've been trying to pay off my debts and save some money, therefore, not spending money I don't have to. I pay my rent, I buy groceries, I buy gas, I pay bills and that's pretty much it. Boring isn't it?

Today I decided to spend some money for once, just for some small semi-necessary things and in doing so I actually feel quite liberated and cheerful. In the sales I purchased some new utility type cargo pants (this always makes my mom sigh, since even after all the years she's been my mother, she still harbors the vain hope I might one day turn into a proper lady and buy a dress), a couple of new books to read for if I manage to get to the beach next week as planned, a new swimsuit as my old one is held together literally by a safety pin and tenuous good luck, a delicious aromatic candle called "Soleil" that smells like the beach on a sunny day (I'm seeing a theme here) and some aqua blue nail polish for my toes. I know blue toes are normally a sign of hypothermia or some such thing, but I figure there's no reason blue can't be cheerful too. I topped it all off by heading to the park with a nice cool Stewart's soda and a girlie fashion magazine, which is an occasional guilty pleasure despite my decidedly non-fashionista, utilty pant-wearing ways.

Retail therapy. It does work!

Driving home I thought about the last time I spent any money buying anything for myself. I couldn't even remember the occasion. I know in the end the scrimping will be all worth it. Like most people, I have debt and I'm determined to get out of it. Plus you know, not spending money means that on the odd occasion when you do, you really kind of appreciate the things you buy.

Even the hypothermic blue nail polish.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Stewart's Lime soda! It's not easy to find here in Maine!

Anonymous said...

I too often deprive myself of retail therapy. It feels so satisfying to come home and hang up new clothes or try new make-up or other girly things. Sometimes just buying flowers helps too. - G

Kola Kokahalla said...

Eva - The lime is the one I had. Key Lime! And it is delicious!

Georgina - It was a real boost to my mood that's for sure. It's actually a lot more fun when you've deprived yourself of it for a while. :)