About Me

My photo
Some call me the space cowboy... Actually, no one calls me that. Not least of all because I'm a lady. A proper lady, with ambitions and passion and lipstick. I'm brimming with love and scorn, courage and fear, hope and disappointment, alcohol and pathos. And I make great pancakes!

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Rude Awakenings


There's something about sitting back on a sunny day, watching the trees outside swaying in the wind and feeling the sun beaming through the glass like a solar laser beam, that makes a person mellow. At one with the world. Disinclined to do any work at all but lean back in one's chair, maybe swinging from side to side, drinking coffee and weighing up the possibilities.

While weighing up the possibilities (for example, do I take some time off and go for a bike ride or do I bake some cookies or otherwise procrastinate work?) I decide it might be wise to dress my freshly showered self, instead of sitting around all day like a bum, so I whip off the oversized t-shirt I slept in. I'm about halfway into a bra and not yet at the familiar dock of clean t-shirt bay, when I hear a sudden loud mechanical whir and turn around to see a young man, in a lawn mower, breezing past my window, a few inches from the glass, peering in at me, eyes darting around trying to see, like a blind man trying to get a focus on a conversation. I give an involuntary squeal and grab the nearest object to cover myself which happens to be an old teddy bear I've had since birth, who sits on a chair by the closet.

So in my attempts to cover up and look less like one of those possibly mythical sex-starved housewives you hear about, welcoming workmen to their homes while donning negligees and purring low voices, I now look like a sex starved lady who enjoys dressing as a pouty pre-pubescent school girl, standing there like a Playboy Bunny caught in headlights, sporting panties, a teddy bear and a fine case of bedhead.

Delightful.

As soon as he's passed the window I whip on my t-shirt and some pants with the speed of a superhero. He passes again several times over the next five minutes or so and while part of me considers closing the blinds and hiding, the rest of me smirks at the idea of upping the ante somewhat by waiting till his next pass then sporting a Sharpie Hitler mustache and passionately showing him my middle finger.

I close the blinds, but I give him the finger, anyway, just for good measure. Plus it's easy to be full of bravado when he can't see me.

Now I might make those cookies.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Too funny....giving him the finger, after closing the blinds!

Shawn said...

Hi -I'm a new follower of you .http://laughingmonkeystick.blogspot.com/For every follower that joins I will be releasing a Unicorn back into the wilds of the New Jersey boardwalk. So please do your part by joining and saving these special creatures. Thanks
Mr. Monkey

Anonymous said...

LOL! And THAT, my friend, is why I live in a high-rise now! - G

Kola Kokahalla said...

Lol! I can definitely see the pros in high rise living. My block has only five floors and I'm on the ground. Not my first choice certainly but what can you do? :) At least it teaches you valuable lessons about curtains.